Hundreds of thousands of files now occupy our computers, phones, and cloud storage sites. Finding what you need can sometimes feel impossible.
During a push to increase user activation rates, the product manager noticed a significant amount of people were leaving without downloading the app after landing on the homepage. On top of that, users who had downloaded the app weren’t trying it.
I was brought in as a freelance product designer to help increase user activation rate. There was a tight timeline of one month due to a PR event that was coming up.
We didn't have a lot of time before the PR event, so we had to be very selective about what to work on and ensure that our work will impact user activation rates. To inform this decision, I wanted to understand all sides of this problem using qualatative and quantative methods. User Research could tell us "why" users were not activating, Analytics could tell us "what" stage of the flow they were not activating, and a brainstorming method called "Question-storming" could uncover any additional insights & perspective from the team that I would not know to ask.
The PM had already documented user research by the time I was brought in. This gave me a good starting point to understand the problem.
There was generally a positive reception to the home page but messaging wasn’t clear enough to convince users what Diamond could do for them inciting questions like:
Ambiguous copy made users confused about what action to take next
About half of users didn’t feel comfortable with downloading Diamond because they were concerned about the security of their information
An significant amount of users did’nt want to connect their email accounts and more so, their file-sharing cloud services because of privacy and security concerns
We worked with the data scientist to get a quantitative understanding of where the problem was occurring. From this, we learned that:
there was a ~20% drop-off after users were prompted to connect their accounts
there was a ~30% drop-off after a “secret code” was sent to the user (the intention was to eleminate the need for passwords altogether)
With a good grasp of where and what problems were occurring to contribute to the high bounce rate, I facilitated a question-storming activity to help the entire team gain empathy for the new user, and help me understand all the different perspectives to consider.
To prepare for the brainstorm, I audited the onboarding flow. We looked at each step of the flow as a group and brainstormed only questions, either as the makers of Diamond or as users of Diamond.
The biggest takeaway was that growing User Activation rate would not be limited to just the onboarding flow because the problem occured upstream in the Homepage, as well. By the end of this process, everyone on the team felt the pain deeply, and new ideas of what to solve and how to solve it emerged.
From the user research, we realized there were a couple main questions that we wanted to address early on so we could set the right expectation. These questions were:
I worked with the growth marketer and copywriter to develop messaging to address these questions.
As we were refining the messaging, I also conducted a competitive audit to align on brand vision with the growth marketer. This tangible document helped him articulate what he thought worked well on other sites and what he believed to be the vision of Diamond. We settled on:
After several iterations of the homepage, we finalized on a Homepage that was ready for testing.
From the user research and question-storming activity, we realized the main problems with the onboarding flow were:
To kick off the onboarding flow redesign, I initiated a brainstorm with the PM, Engineering lead, and Growth Marketer to collaborate on solutions that everyone felt aligned on. I wanted to reduce back & forth conversations between tech feasibility, requirements on brand messaging, and what would have most impact for the user. It was helpful to have everyone discuss and brainstorm together so we all understood the reason and trade-offs for certain decisions.
From this brainstorm, a new simplified flow was created.
With the high-level flow in mind, we all had individual next-steps for how to make this new flow come to life.
Allowing users to sign up from app helps them:
Since the project wrapped up in May, we saw a big increase in completion rate. The team rolled out the new home page and onboarding flow just in time to welcome new users from the PR event. The team was happy with the results and shared these screenshots to show me the difference the design changes had on their metrics. Due to low number of users (they were still in beta), I was especially happy to see the survey comments reflect a positive opinion of the new site.
(c) Beatrice Law 2018